Photos taken at USCG Air Station Salem (Massachusetts)
|22. (left) Air Station Salem as seen
from the water
23. (right) Air Station Salem as seen from the water, with a PBM "Mariner" on the ways
24. (left) PBMs with Hangar & buildings in the background
25. (right) Vince Grobbel (left) in front of a PBM (note attached wheels with rectangular float)
26. (left) Coasties on a utility truck
27. (right) PBY engine surrounded by mechanic's scaffolding
28. (left) Helicopter (with rotors removed) under repair inside the Hangar
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
All photos are from the
collection of Vince Grobbel, who was a BM1/c in the USCG
and was briefly stationed at AIRSTA Salem in February and March of 1946.
"Coast Guard Air Station Salem: A Fate Unknown" an article written by PA2 Jaimie Knife for the
06 Nov 2003 USCG First District Newsletter
"Coast Guard Aviation History" A web site that includes 51 photos taken from 1925 through 1969 at Air Station Salem. Select "CGAS Salem" from the "Inactive Air Stations" drop-down menu and then click "Select Inactive Units".
"Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Salem Coast Guard Air Station, Salem, MA" The history of Air Station Salem, told with the help of aeronautical maps and photos.
1942 Photo of Air Station Salem Hangar showing four parked Vought "Kingfishers" and one PBY "Catalina"
The Story of the 1957 Armed Forces Day Tragedy at Air Station Salem
The History of the Fort Pickering Light (aka Winter Island Light) which was adjacent to Air Station Salem
USCG Air Station San Diego - description of mooring and beaching a PBM in 1946
USCG Air Station St. Petersburg - description of a "normal" three week duty rotation cycle during 1948
Aerial view of the former USCG Air Station Salem (1935-1970)
Map showing the location of the former USCG Air Station Salem (1935-1970)